|CLICK HERE for a HANDY SHOE CONVERTER CHART
CLICK HERE for a HANDY RING SIZER CONVERTER CHART
STERLING SILVER & RHODIUM CLEANING CARE INSTRUCTIONS
Sterling silver is 92.5 percent true silver the remaining 7.5 percent is comprised of an alloy which is usually copper and zinc, but not always.
Sterling silver does tarnish. It is a simple fact of nature. Silver tarnish is caused by a reaction between the silver and oxygen and sulfur. It is also caused by swimming while wearing your sterling silver jewelry, using hair spray while wearing your sterling silver jewelry, lotions containing any oils etc.
Over time sterling silver develops a mellow patina which often results in an appreciated antique look. Often a black oxidation builds up in the fine details which gives your jewelry piece a beautiful and unique look.
Understanding YOUR Sterling Silver Jewelry
Some sterling silver jewelry pieces are coated with rhodium which gives it the appearance of platinum. This process is design to make your jewelry tarnish resistant. Understanding what you have is important in the care of sterling silver jewelry. The presence of rhodium means you care for your jewelry differently. Generally you will clean rhodium coated sterling silver with a soft polishing rag or a fine gentle cleaner that is non abrasive. You can also use your simple everyday dishwashing liquid with a soft bristle toothbrush and rinse well.
Do not use silver dip because of the potential damage that can occur on the rhodium finish. It can also damage certain gemstones.
Prevent Damage/Tarnishing: When storing your sterling silver jewelry you want to avoid scratching the jewelry piece and you want to minimize the oxidation process. It would be best to store your sterling silver jewelry in an air tight container lined with something soft. The less air exposed to will slow the oxidation and the soft lining with avoid scratches.